Research Analysis Specialist – Data Analyst
Working Title: Research Analysis Specialist - Data Analyst
Job Class: Research Analysis Specialist
Agency: Public Utilities Commission
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 09/06/2023
- Closing Date: 09/27/2023
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Public Utilities Commission (PUC)
- Division/Unit: Public Utilities Commission / Energy Facilities Planning (EFP)
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
- Days of Work: Monday - Friday
- Travel Required: No
- Salary Range: $26.64 - $39.06/hour or $55,624 - $81,557/annually
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 214 - MN Assoc of Professional Empl/MAPE
- FLSA Status: Nonexempt
- Telework Eligible: Yes - see below
- Designated in Connect 700 Program for Applicants with Disabilities: Yes
Make a difference in the lives of Minnesotans.
The work you’ll do is more than just a job. Join the talented, engaged and inclusive workforce dedicated to creating a better Minnesota.
*This posting will be used to fill one (1) open position.
**Hybrid Work and Flexible Hours Options Are Available.
This position is responsible for data compilation, accessibility, and analysis of utility-reported and other relevant public data to inform Commissioners and the public about key electric and gas regulation issues; such as, utility service quality, affordability, utility performance, distributed energy resources, electric vehicles, and more. This position consults with Commission staff and provides leadwork direction and review to data student worker(s).
To facilitate proper crediting, please ensure that your resume clearly describes your experience in the areas listed and indicates the beginning and ending month and year for each job held.
wo (2) years professional experience demonstrating expertise supporting research and data analysis for energy or utility-related programs.
Experience must include:
- Understanding of data analyses and research techniques;
- Practical experience with data collection, data manipulation, data transformation and interpretation;
- Skilled at using MS Excel and other MS Suite programs.
A degree in Data Science, Economics, Statistics, Environmental Science, or another related fields or related field will substitute for professional experience, as follows:
- Master's degree = 18 months of experience
- Bachelor's degree = 12 months of experience
- Associates degree = 6 months of experience
Minimum qualifications to be assessed at interview:
- Strong human relations and communication skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally both verbally and in writing
- Ability to respond openly to requests and concerns
- Experience working with any data warehouse, information systems and/or programs
- Experience working with data visualization tools such as Tableau, Power BI, R, GIS;
- Project management experience
- Knowledge of energy issues or energy regulation.
- Experience working with people of diverse backgrounds and marginalized communities
This position requires successful completion of a background check and employment reference check.
How to Apply
Applicants must apply to the MN Careers website http://www.mn.gov/careers Job ID 69276. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
To receive consideration as a Connect 700 Program applicant, apply online, email the Job ID#, the Working Title and your valid Proof of Eligibility Certificate by the closing date to Morgan Stafford at email@example.com.
About Public Utilities Commission
The Minnesota Public Utilities Commission (PUC) plays a vital role in ensuring that Minnesotans have safe, reliable, and affordable electric, gas and landline telephone utility services by regulation of these three service industries.
Why Work for Us
We are committed to continually developing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our state and the populations we serve. The varied experiences and perspectives of employees strengthen the work we do together and our ability to best serve the people of Minnesota.
A recent engagement survey of State of Minnesota employees found:
- 95% of employees understand how their work helps achieve their agency’s mission
- 91% of employees feel trusted to do their jobs
- 88% of employees feel equipped to look at situations from other cultural perspectives when doing their job
- 87% of employees report flexibility in their work schedule
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
- Public pension plan
- Training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 11 paid holidays each year
- Paid parental leave
- Low-cost medical and dental coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Vision coverage
- Wellness programs and resources
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Health care spending and savings accounts
- Dependent care spending account
- Tax-deferred compensation
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Minnesota state agencies are equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employers. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate what assistance is needed.