IT Senior Software Developer – Hybrid
SFM believes that our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. As such, we are committed to creating the best work environment and have been named a MN top Workplace by our employees. As the Sr. Software Developer, you will be part of a dynamic team working with propriety-based software and will develop and create efficient and effective solutions that meet user requirements. Use your C# programing skills and work directly with end users to improve and create software using standard 00 principles. This role entails a high level of interaction with internal customers and being an active participant on the IT Development Team.
Under general direction, prepares and communicates detailed design specifications including database design schema, application structure and user interface layouts. Develops and creates efficient and effective solutions that meet user requirements. Designs, codes, tests and debugs programs which are in compliance with departmental programming standards and best practices. Participates in team-oriented development environment by keeping co-workers apprised on project status and collaborating to produce timely and high quality solutions.
- Prepares and communicates detailed design specifications, including database design schema, application structure, and user interface layouts. Interviews customers and studies appropriate reference materials. Makes use of prototypes and storyboarding to demonstrate more complex designs.
- Develops solutions that meet user requirements while being easy to use. Creates solutions that are efficient and effective.
- Architects, codes, tests and debugs programs which are efficient, adequately documented, and in compliance with pertinent Information Services programming standards and guidelines. Produces timely work and of high quality.
- Participates in team-oriented development environment. Keeps co-workers updated on project status that they are dependent upon. Works with other co-workers to produce timely high-quality solutions.
- Prepares and communicates plans to implement new applications in live system environment, in coordination with customers.
- Provides training to customers in coordination with technical specialists from the Business Services team. Works with the Communications team to provide documentation for the Intranet where appropriate.
- Collaborates with customers to develop and justify new project requests.
- Communicates effectively with the Software Development Leader on project status and new work assignments and maintains appropriate interactions with persons both within the organization and externally.
- Works with and mentors team members within areas of expertise.
- Computer science-related Bachelor's degree; or an Associate's degree in an IT/IS field, along with two years of industry experience is acceptable.
- Four plus years of professional software development experience.
- Two plus years of experience in one of the development tools SFM utilizes including C#.NET, MS Visual Studio (TFS) and Oracle PL/SQL.
- Experience with shell scripting, and Postscript a plus.
- Experience with Linux scripting or Windows services preferred.
- Solid knowledge of structure programming and object orientated development methodologies.
- Creative problem solving skills and the ability to translate business needs into software requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal l communication skills.
- The ability to work well independently and within a team environment.
- Strong desire to work directly with internal customers.
- Understanding of general business concepts.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to adapt to change and meet established timelines.
- Self-motivation and attention to detail.
- Proven initiative and the ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Strong desire to work directly with customers and ability to deliver superior customer service.
- Proven experience working within an agile work environment.
Work takes place in a semi paperless environment within an office, using standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopies, which requires being stationary for extended periods of time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and work with close vision. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds. Work is performed indoors with little to no exposure to extreme outdoor weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The safety of our employees, both current and future, is SFM's highest priority. At this time, most of our employees are working from their homes due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Candidates who are selected for this position may be off site and must be able to work from home in a designated work area. Once SFM determines it is safe for their employees to return to the office, candidates may be required to work in our Bloomington, MN office.
Since 1983, our mission has been to be the workers' compensation partner of choice for agents, employers and their workers. In that time, we've expanded to over 22,000 customers in the Midwest and grown our offerings to include vocational rehabilitation, safe patient handling, loss prevention, medical services and more. Though much has changed through the years, our focus continues to be unrivaled customer service, safety, and providing better outcomes for employers and injured workers.
SFM is unique in that we are small enough that your voice is heard, but has all the benefits and perks of a larger employer. We value your opinion, help you reach your goals, and make it easy for you to maintain work-life balance. Find out why our employees rate us a top employer and choose to stay and grow with us. Apply today and discover why SFM employees have stayed for 30+ years!
SFM Mutual Insurance Company and each of its parent companies, subsidiaries and/or affiliated companies are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. SFM provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.