IT Data Architect
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Information Science or in a field related to the job, plus five (5) years related experience, two (2) years of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity.
- Masters degree may substitute for experience up to two (2) years.
- Education or experience may substitute up to four (4) years.
Notes to Applicants
The Development Services Department ( DSD ) assists homeowners, business owners, and contractors when they build, demolish, remodel or perform any type of construction to ensure compliance with applicable city and building codes.
DSD strives to support a vibrant community through responsible development while providing high-quality and timely development review and inspection services.
Customer and Employee Experience establishes the framework for strategic planning, performance, and continuous improvement for the Department to maximize operational efficiency and improve customer satisfaction by providing stakeholder and community engagement as well as administrative, managerial, financial, and technological support to the Department. It also provides plan review intake for residential, commercial, expedited and land development reviews along with permitting and licensing assistance.
DUE TO COVID -19 all interviews for Development Services are being conducted virtually via Microsoft Teams 365.
Working with the City of Austin provides a number of health and welfare benefits. Please click HERE for more information.
Only complete applications will be considered. Be sure your employment history on the application includes your past job titles, employment dates, and a detailed summary of your job duties, functions and responsibilities. Please take the time to ensure that the application is complete to represent your history and skills/abilities.
Although there are posting dates listed, Development Services may close the posting any time after seven days from the initial advertisement. Once a position is closed, no additional applications or application changes will be accepted.
Post Interview Verification:
If you are selected as the top candidate for a position, we will be contacting your current and former employer, as well as the references listed in your application. Please do your best to ensure that the contact information on the application is accurate. Top candidates will also be required to provide proof of education from an accredited organization, copies of any professional licenses or certificates listed on the application and a copy of your DD-214 if claiming veteran's preference.
Candidates selected for interview may undergo a skill/competency based assessment(s).
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
THE DEPARTMENT MAY CLOSE THIS JOB POSTING AT ANY TIME AFTER 7 DAYS .
$37.12 - $49.18
Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm
Telework available due to COVID -19
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Development Services
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 6310 Wilhelmina Delco Drive - PDC
- Knowledge of Enterprise Architecture practices and principles
- Experience with Oracle databases
- Experience with API's and other integration solutions
- Experience with data sets over 200GB
- Experience with Power BI data analytics
- Experience migrating data sets to new platforms and solutions
- Experience with optimization of data sets and data analytic performance
- Knowledge of business re-engineering principles and processes
- Knowledge and experience with graphical modeling approaches
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Manages logical, physical and dimensional modeling Creates accurate modeling reflecting user requirements Performs systems interfacing Develops physical databases meeting performance requirements Defines strategies for database implementation Defines and implements processes for extracting and loading data Develops infrastructure, data, software, security, and/or business process architectures Develops data management policies and standards Implements key components Develops test criteria Provides technical assistance in identifying, evaluating, and developing systems and procedures
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Technical leadership to database and systems development group, lead project teams, may supervise and/or lead technical staff
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowedge of Database Design
- Knowledge of Data Migration Tools
- Skill in data Analysis and
- Skill in Data Modeling
- Skill in Data Integration
- Skill in Data Warehousing
- Skill in Database
- Skill in oral and written communication
- Skill in Consulting
- Skill in building team relationships and partnerships
- Ability to lead groups
- Ability to solve complex data design problems
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/functions concurrently
Criminal Background Investigation This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
* The minimum qualifications of the IT Data Architect position are: Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Information Science or in a field related to the job, plus five (5) years related experience, two (2) years of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity. Masters degree may substitute for experience up to two (2) years. Education or experience may substitute up to four (4) years. Do you meet the minimum qualifications of this position?
* What is your experience with Oracle Databases?
- I have pulled data from an oracle database
- I have managed an oracle database
- I have managed and optimized an oracle database
- I have built, optimized and managed an enterprise database
* What is your experience in creating interfaces between data systems?
- I have setup an API to integrate a database
- I have used an API and an ETL (Extract, Transform Load) solution or a ESB (enterprise service bus) solution
* What is your experience handling large data sets?
- I have worked with datasets from 1-100GB
- I have worked with datasets from 101-200GB
- I have worked with datasets over 201GB
* What is your experience in PowerBI?
- I have not worked with PowerBI but I have worked with other data analytic solutions.
- I have created reports using PowerBI
- I have created dashboards using Power BI
* What is your experience migrating data?
- I have migrated less then 50GB to a new solution
- I have migrated more than 51GB to a new solution/s
* What is your experience optimizing data analytic performance?
- I have optimized data analytic reports and dashboards
- I have optimized a data warehouse and data analytic report and dashboards
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Cover Letter Resume Optional Documents