Data Strategist- PBOT (Business Systems Analyst III)
About the position: PBOT's Data Strategist (Business Systems Analyst III) role will provide bureau-wide operational leadership around Data Governance, Data Management Strategies and Practices, and Data Management tools. The primary objective of the Data Strategist is to help ensure the bureau utilizes an enterprise approach to data management, across multiple business systems and functional areas.
This position is in PBOT's Technology Services Division, which is responsible for building, supporting, and maintaining 50+ systems, tools, infrastructure (Microsoft Azure, and SQL servers) and data across the bureau. The Data Strategist will work in close partnership with the Technology Services Division, the Strategy and Innovation team and the Performance Analytics team to help operationalize data related strategies or efforts.
What you'll get to do:
- Lead, facilitate and manage PBOT's Data Governance Structure and Committee.
- Identify, introduce, and educate PBOT's Data Governance Committee about Data Management Strategies, including but not limited to standards, policies or procedures.
- Implement new Data Management standards, policies or procedures throughout the bureau.
- Lead business systems analysis, data analysis, and business process analysis activities, including but not limited to interviewing bureau stakeholders to identify and document data requirements, gaps, or issues from a system, database, and business process perspective.
- Document data schema or table considerations or options
- Identify and document reporting or data visualization needs
- Determine system or tool for reporting or visualization
- Lead other Technology Services Division staff (Application Analysts, Principal Information Systems Analysts, GIS staff, and other BSA staff) to implement data schema or system changes to support Data Management Strategies.
- Research data management technical solution options and make recommendations to management or other bureau decision-makers.
- Lead implementation of business process changes with teams across the bureau to change how their work is performed to improve data collection or data quality.
- Lead and examine bureau-wide data issues by analyzing data, business processes, collecting regulatory requirements, collecting reporting/visualization requirements, and identify gaps or areas for improvement.
- Act as PBOT's liaison at City-wide Data Governance and Data Management committees or other regional partner efforts around these topics.
- Communicate (in writing, in person, and remote meetings) about complex Data Management Strategies to a diverse audience of staff with varying knowledge
City of Portland Core Values:
Anti-racism | Communication | Collaboration | Equity | Transparency | Fiscal Responsibility
These values guide our actions as we serve the community and engage our workforce. To learn more about the City's core values, please click here.
Why work at the City of Portland?
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer in ALL people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer a comprehensive benefits package , including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families. If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.
Currently, many positions with the City of Portland are being performed remotely due to COVID-19. . In the future, current positions classified as "full-time remote" could: 1) remain full-time remote, 2) become a remote/onsite mix, 3) revert to full-time at a city work location. As the situation evolves, the exact work location of the position in this recruitment may change based upon leadership direction and approval.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Experience with data management strategies including data governance, data architecture, data storage, data security, and data quality.
- Experience performing systems analysis and business process analysis such as researching, designing, testing, implementing, managing, and supporting complex data management or technology solutions.
- Experience using SQL (or R or Python) to query, process, or analyze data and using data visualization tools like Tableau.
- Experience exercising problem solving skills independently and the ability to develop sound decisions, conclusions, and create recommendations
- Experience communicating effectively and providing guidance to a variety of diverse stakeholders both technical and non-technical (from field staff to executive leadership).
- Experience building relationships, trust, and consensus with a variety of stakeholders who have competing priorities/goals to develop an enterprise goal or outcome
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and answers to supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested . Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.
** PLEASE NOTE : The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies**
- Posting closes: 5/3
- Applications Reviewed: Week of 5/3
- Eligible List: 5/12
- Selection Phase Begins: Mid May
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change without notice
Applicants must submit a professional resume and responses to the supplemental questions online, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Your résumé and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your responses to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your responses to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your responses to the supplemental questions and resume any transferrable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Work Status: Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.
Veterans' Preference: If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment.
ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations: If you identify as a person with a disability, are pregnant or nursing, or observe a religious practice(s), and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.
Equal Employment Opportunity: It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.
Did you know? The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review best practices for applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates: https://www.portland.gov/bhr/career-center/events
Questions?/ Recruiter Contact Information:
Emily Mavraganis, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Closing Date/Time: 5/3/2021 11:59 PM Pacific