Under general supervision, to build and maintain data processing systems and pipelines that combine core data sources into accessible structures (e.g. data warehouses, data marts, data lakes, etc.) to support reporting and analytical systems; to collect, store, and clean data to make it available to Data Analysts, Data Scientists, or Business Intelligence Analysts who can easily query the data.
Please note: This recruitment is scheduled to include a written examination; the examination will be conducted online through a secure third party. The week of October 11th, 2021 you will be sent test information via the email address attached to your application.
- Enhances existing database systems to increase operating efficiency or adapt to newer requirements;
- Analyzes performance and capacity and advises on any necessary infrastructure changes;
- Recommends and implements data reliability, efficiency and quality improvements;
- Researches opportunities for data acquisition and new uses for existing data;
- Contributes to work plan timelines and manages workflows to meet project timeframes;
- Designs and creates data processing systems that combine core data sources into data repositories that support reporting and analytical systems;
- Performs data conversions, imports and exports of data within and between internal and external software systems;
- Creates data transformation and automation processes using a variety of technologies (e.g. Scripting, PowerShell, ETL, SQL stored procedures, etc.) to support business systems and data flows;
- Maintains the quality of data repositories by adding, modifying, and deleting data according to policies and business decisions;
- Troubleshoots data processing tools, systems, and software;
- Identifies and resolves production and/or application development problems that relate to the use of the database management systems;
- Monitors performance and capability according to defined service level agreements;
- Develops and maintains a query library to support recurring data requests;
- Documents new and existing models, solutions, and implementations such as data mapping, technical specifications, production support, data dictionaries, test cases, etc.;
- Maintains the data dictionary and other related data processing metadata;
- May be assigned as a Disaster Service Worker, as required;
- Performs other related duties, as required.
Sufficient education, training, and experience to demonstrate the possession and direct application of the following knowledge and abilities:
Training and Experience Note:
Possession of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math,
Six (6) years of experience working in information systems development, focused on processing large volumes of data feeds or work experience as a Data Base Administrator (DBA) on Data Base Management System design and support working in query languages and Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) technologies and tools. Three (3) years of this experience must be at a level comparable to the County's Associate Data Engineer classification.
Training and experience equivalent to the possession of a Bachelor's degree. Relevant analytical, administrative, lead, supervisory or management experience that includes interpreting rules and regulations, gathering data and formulating recommendations, and report writing can substitute for education on a year-for-year basis;
Eight (8) years of experience working in information systems development, focused on processing large volumes of data feeds or work experience as a Data Base Administrator (DBA) on Data Base Management System design and support working in query languages and Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) technologies and tools. Three (3) years of this experience must be at a level comparable to the County's Associate Data Engineer classification.
- Ability to travel to alternate locations in the course of work. If driving, possession of a valid California Driver's License prior to appointment and the ability to qualify for and maintain a County driver authorization.
- Depending on the position, related certifications may be desirable.
- Advanced analytical data processing tools and techniques;
- Information systems development across the IT lifecycle, with a focus on systems to perform high volume and velocity data processing on disparate data types/formats;
- Relational and NoSQL database technologies;
- Database management software and defining hardware requirements;
- Software components (e.g., specialized UDFs) and analytics applications;
- Data/information quality metrics;
- Troubleshooting techniques of data load or reconciliation;
- Methods used in vendor and software evaluations;
- End-user training and training materials;
- Query languages and various ETL technologies and tools (e.g. SQL, Informatica, SSIS, Data Stage, Alteryx, Denodo, Snowflake, etc.);
- Relational database theory, structure, principles, and practices, database normalization concepts, data modeling and performance tuning;
- Software development methodology and release processes;
- Data conversions, imports and exports of data within and between internal and external software systems;
- Processes to ensure data integrity and standardization;
- Data quality standards;
- Data analytics tools, systems, and software troubleshooting;
- Resolutions for production and/or application development problems that relate to the use of the database management systems;
- Data management standards, policies and procedures;
- Disaster recovery procedures.
For positions assigned to the healthcare vertical, the following knowledge is required:
- Specific data handling requirements for patient identifiable information and protected health information.
- EPIC data warehousing and reporting environments (Caboodle, Cogito, Clarity ETL, etc.)
- EPIC Certification in appropriate functional area, or ability to become certified within 6 months
For positions assigned to the healthcare vertical, the following knowledge is desirable:
- Healthcare integration technologies and techniques (HL7 v2 or higher, EDI, etc.)
- Design and create database management systems;
- Recommend and implement data reliability, efficiency and quality improvements;
- Research opportunities for data acquisition and new uses for existing data;
- Enhance existing database systems;
- Perform data conversions, imports and exports of data within and between internal and external software systems;
- Create data transformation processes (ETL, SQL stored procedures, etc.) to support business systems and operational data flows;
- Maintain the quality of data repositories;
- Troubleshoot data analytic tools, systems, and software;
- Identify and resolve production and/or application development problems;
- Analyze performance and capacity and advise on infrastructure changes;
- Develop and maintain a query library to support recurring data requests;
- Document new and existing models, solutions, and implementations;
- Maintain the data dictionary.
Closing Date/Time: 9/24/2021 11:59 PM Pacific