Data Center Operator – Open to CSULB Employees Only (531653)
The purpose of the Data Center Operator is to provide effective and reliable data center operations and data center customer service to the campus. This position also provides augmentation to the campus Technology Help Desk.
- Data Center monitoring, security, and operations (Computer Operations) - Perform form printing, reprints, and folding on data center equipment as needed. Communicate status with the customer.
- Job Scheduling - Maintain batch production schedules, including maintenance of job scheduling production and test tables and calendars for proper scheduling, following the established procedures, and provided training.
- Technology Help Desk Assistance and Training - Provide first level help desk support for staff, faculty and students, and occasionally for the Chancellor's Office.
- Communicate clearly and effectively, with technical and non-technical individuals within a culturally diverse campus environment. Maintain a professional demeanor. Maintain IT professional standards of anonymity for data that reside on campus servers and computer systems. Maintain confidentiality of all information. Attend and participate in departmental and team meetings. Perform other duties as assigned to meet the needs and objectives of the department and/or division.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Proficiency in Word and Excel. Must be able to work through complex problems with little or no supervision. Must be familiar with Windows operating system. General knowledge of using a personal computer. General knowledge of folding equipment. General ability to perform common clerical tasks. Follow oral and written directions, good communication skills, and ability to interface with computer users, programmers, supervision, and management. Ability to be personable and helpful when working with a diverse population by phone and other communication tools to solve problems.
Ability to communicate with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community. Ability to follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to safety, civility, information security, and non-discrimination policies and procedures. Ability to contribute to a positive university experience for each and every student and assist in achieving the university's commitment to a "vision of excellence."
Education and Experience
• Equivalent to a high school diploma and one year of related experience required.
• Two years working in an IT environment preferred.
• Experience working with complex, large-scale systems preferred.
• Experience with job scheduling applications, especially Control-M preferred.
- Light work - Job involves some lifting of medium weight objects (10-20 pounds) and/or 10% - 20% of the job involves standing or walking.
Licenses / Certificates
Valid CA driver's license required to operate a cart throughout campus, while performing essential job functions.
ITS Data Center & Emergency Management
Operations Specialist - Career
Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
CSU Classification Salary Range: $3,429 - $5,898 per month.
Excellent benefits through CalPERS (health, vision, dental), tuition fee waiver, generous vacation and sick leave, and 14 paid holidays each year.
Regular, 0.85 time-base, part-time position.
Click Apply Now to complete the CSULB Online Employment Application.
PLEASE FILL OUT THE APPLICATION COMPLETELY. It is important that all sections of the on-line application are filled out completely and accurately. Please include all relevant education and experience. Your application will be used to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications for this position.
CSULB is not a sponsoring agency for staff and management positions (i.e. H-1B Visas).
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily and is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Due to the nature of this position, current CSULB employees are subject to a criminal record check unless they have successfully completed a criminal background check through CSULB within the past 12 months.
California State University Long Beach expects respectful, professional behavior from its employees in all situations. Acts of harassment or abusive conduct are prohibited. Demonstrated appropriate professional behavior, treating others with civility and respect, and refusing to tolerate abusive conduct is expected of all employees.
Equal Employment Statement
California State University Long Beach is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that is strongly committed to promoting diversity in all areas of the campus community. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, physical or mental disability, gender or sex, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, and veteran or military status.
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact StaffHR-Accommodations@csulb.edu .
Out of State Employment Policy
California State University, Long Beach, as part of the CSU system, is a State of California Employer. As such, the University requires all employees upon date of hire to reside in the State of California.
As of January 1, 2022 the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
Closing Date/Time: September 14, 2023