Data and GIS Developer, Street Use (IT Professional- C Bargaining Unit)
Vision: Seattle is a thriving and equitable community powered by dependable transportation.
Mission: To deliver a transportation system that provides safe and affordable access to places and opportunities.
The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) is a nationally recognized municipal transportation agency at the leading edge of multi-modal transportation. In our quickly growing city, accessibility, safety, affordability, and reliability - are top of mind for us every day! Our core values drive our work toward creating an equitable, sustainable, and vibrant city for all. SDOT's core responsibilities include maintenance and operations of the city's transportation right-of-way, the expansion of the city's bicycle and pedestrian network, care of over 240 bridges, permitting use of public spaces and enhancing access to the regional transit system. With approximately 1,200 dedicated staff, SDOT maintains an operational presence 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in all weather conditions to serve and ensure Seattle's public mobility.
SDOT's Street Use division has an opportunity for a Data and GIS Developer (under the City classification of IT Professional C- Bargaining Unit). This position will be serve as the technical lead on the Data and GIS team through the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of data pipelines, queries, dashboards, visualizations, GIS tools, and reports. A key function will be to develop and implement work plan items to support division goals and priorities. The position serves as the administrator for the dotMaps applications and leads development of integrations between dotMaps and our enterprise systems. Additionally, the position will serve as the business lead for work on enterprise systems, including custom configuration. This developer works collaboratively with others on the Data and GIS team as well as Seattle IT Department to accomplish items on the team's workplan and support division staff in achieving their mission and goals. This position will report to the Data and GIS Supervisor.
- Write queries in SQL (MS SQL Server and Oracle SQL) to support Street Use division business processes.
- Write and support Python code for division ETL processes and other automations.
- Serve as the technical lead on the dotMaps application and related integrations.
- Develop, implement, and manage queries, reports, visualizations, tools, and data.
- Propose, develop, select, enhance, and support tools that support division data and workflows.
- Collaborate with Seattle IT groups as needed to accomplish tasks.
- Support the Data and GIS team in completing items on its work plan including building data pipelines, system integrations, data streams, performance management, and implementing new reporting tools.
- Provide general technical support to division staff on business systems, applications, and hardware.
- Other duties fitting this classification as assigned by the team manager.
- Support department goals in promoting diversity and social justice.
- Three (3) years of experience in data pipeline development, data analysis, GIS development, data warehousing, or systems analysis.
- Bachelor's degree; preferably in business or public administration, finance, computer science, information science, geography, planning, engineering or a related field.
- Three (3) years of experience writing SQL queries.
OR: an equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the position duties.
Successful candidates will possess many of these additional qualifications or be able to demonstrate comparable experience and expertise:
- Advanced skill level in Tableau.
- Experience programming in Python.
- Experience using APIs for data transfer.
- Advanced skill level in ESRI ArcGIS.
- Advanced skill level in MS Excel.
- Advanced skill level in MS SharePoint Developer.
- Advanced skill level in MS Power BI.
- Experience with Accela permitting software.
- Effectively work in a multi-cultural workplace with a diverse customer base.
Offers of employment are contingent on verification of information provided by the applicant as part of the application process, including potential background check.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
COVID 19 Vaccination Mandate - City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination prior to your employment start date. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov
Closing Date/Time: 9/27/2022 4:00 PM Pacific